On Sunday night I had the honor of speaking on opening night of the IAB Annual Leadership Meeting in Scottsdale about the future of digital media sales. After addressing 'the big lie' that hangs over our business - that the growth of programmatic buying would somehow drastically reduce or eliminate the need for sales executives - I talked about how the nature of selling would indeed change, and what kind of sellers would be called for in the complex and rewarding days ahead.
Does your quality inventory stand out in programmatic? Are you getting full value for those impressions? Programmatic has a trust issue, and comScore has the solution. comScore Industry Trust is a multi-phase initiative designed to enable trusted programmatic transactions of quality advertising between buyers and sellers. Learn more today.
Transactional buying and selling - trading standard ad units for dollars - is the rust belt of the media landscape, and those jobs ain't coming back. In fact, those jobs really aren't about selling at all. The real sellers - the great ones - are already working on a much different level, we have the working template for the Greatest Generation of Digital Sellers:
- They are marketing-oriented, not advertising driven. They look at the picture through a much wider aperture.
- They organize their work around multi-product, integrated solutions - not around response to late stage, single product RFPs.
- They operate "left of budget" and create urgency by working backward from the unsolved marketing problem.
- They are patient and thorough in navigating complexity.
- They are enterprise sellers, not point solution vendors.
The Greatest Generation of Digital Sellers is not a foregone conclusion. It's something we have to imagine and commit to. To paraphrase William Gibson, bits of that future are already here; they're just unevenly distributed.
We've just added Mitch Weinstein from IPG Mediabrands as part of an important discussion of viewability at Seller Forum on March 12th. We'll be discussing video, talent, policies, financial outlook and more. If you lead a team that sells media, you need to be there. Request your invitation today.